June 26, 2014
Company releases latest version of its flagship product, continues dedication to stability and reliability.
Beaverton, OR June 26, 2014
GemTalk Systems announced the release of GemStone/S 64 Bit Version 3.2. This latest update secures the platform’s place as a state-of-the-art tool for developing, deploying, and managing scalable, high-performance, multi-tier business applications.
“Because this new releases features critical security upgrades as well as improved speed, increased support, and enhanced user features, it not only strengthens the product, but reaffirms our commitment to the evolution of our products to coincide with both technological advancements and customer needs,” said Norm Green, GemTalk System’s Senior Vice President and CTO.
The major new features include:
- Multi-threaded, configurable page reclaim with improved reclaim gem API
- Fix for SSL “heart bleed” bug
- Faster Smalltalk virtual machine
- New and improved indexing and querying, with a new API and many new features
- Support for clients on 64-bit Microsoft Windows®
- Support for huge (more than 256 GB) shared page caches on Linux
- Hot standby now supports SSL connections
- Improved support for extended characters, UTF8, and Unicode
- New external session framework wrapping GciInterface
This update also continues GemTalk’s commitment to the Smalltalk community and delivers on the promise to release new and innovative technologies after acquiring the GemStone/S platform in the second quarter of 2013.
The upgrade will necessitate new keyfiles as well upgrades to the following add-on products: GemBuilder for VA Smalltalk v5.4.2, GemBuilder for VisualWorks v7.6.1, GemConnect v2.3, and GemBuilder for Java v3.1.1. Each has a new release specifically for compatibility with GemStone/S 64 Bit Version 3.2.
With all of the new features, API and code improvements, and significant bug fixes, GemStone/S users are encouraged to upgrade to the new version. Version 3.2 is now available for customer download on the following operating systems:
- Solaris 10 and 11 on SPARC
- Solaris 10 on x86
- AIX 6.1, TL1, SP1, and AIX 7.1
- Red Hat Linus ES 6.1 and Ubuntu 10.04, on x86
- Max OSX 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard), with Darwin 10.4.0 kernel, on x86
- Windows users will need to download the Windows Client
For more information and direct downloads, visit GemStone/S 64 Bit v3.2.
James Foster, Director of Operations